Disaster strikes

Disaster

Wednesday, 5 January 2011

The evening of the 5th January 1975. A bulk ore carrier strikes the pylons of the Tasman Bridge. Twelve people died, including 5 car occupants who went over the edge into the water of the Derwent River.

Has the town or city where you live ever had a disaster?

How did the town cope?

What did they do to survive?

Write about a natural disaster you have heard about. Imagine you or one of your family were in the disaster. How were you feeling?

4 comments

• Dear Sue,

I think I remember that bridge, but didn’t know the history when I saw it 20 yrs ago.

In 2010, our town of 700 people lost 5 young people under age 25 primarily due to accidents & mishaps. Not all together, but within a span of a few months. We did have a day a prayer a couple of months ago to help us cope with the losses, but needless to say, we are still reeling. I’m not sure this is the sort of disaster that you were thinking of.

Another one that comes to mind is Greensburg, KS, about 2 hours drive south of here. There was a devastating tornado there about 4 years ago that leveled the entire town killing 12 people. In Kansas, tornadoes are part of our reality, but last spring when we had warning sirens going in our town & my family and I were huddled in the basement, it was an eerie feeling unlike any I’ve had before. With sirens blowing, you can’t help but to think of Greensburg.

Fortunately, the city of Greensburg is rebuilding, better than ever. They are now a showcase community, using sustainable methods and renewable energy. I guess it goes to show that you can bounce back from tragedies.

• Down by our harbour is a monument and a story that I was going to share later in the week… I will grab a shot of it tomorrow. Feeling very inspired by the resource you are developing here 🙂

• Hi Claire,
      Thought I could use this blog to help with ideas for the students to write about. Hence always finishing with something to do with the picture.

• Hi,

Thanks for sending me the link to your blog. I have enjoyed looking at your photos. I now remember actually looking at this blog early in Jan and seeing this post. I flew from Melbourne to Hobart the following day with some girlfriends and as we were driving from the airport into the city I was able to relay this piece of knowledge when we were going over the bridge! Thanks to you I felt so knowledgable about Hobart!

Thanks
    Mel